- What is Kickstart?
- What topics do you cover?
- Who should use Kickstart?
- How can faculty use Kickstart?
- How do I sign up?
- Other Kickstart opportunities to build your resume . . .
- Watch a sample video
- Find out more . . .
Kickstart is a service provided by the University Advisors for students who want an academic boost. Short videos on MyLMU Connect offer study strategies for topics your LMU peers said they needed most.
In addition to online materials and reminders, the University Advisors are available for one-on-one appointments to tailor strategies to your personal academic needs or challenges.
- Balancing Time Commitments (Time Management)
- Metacognition and College Expectations
- Test Preparation
- Note-Taking Techniques
- Critical Reading
- Study Group Strategies
- Oral Communication and Presentation Skills
- And More . . .
Each topic area above includes a variety of resources.
For example, our oral communication resources include:
- Recommendations Video from our Kickstart Student Editor (a Communication Studies major)
- Time management for oral communication projects (for individuals and group projects)
- Development process worksheet for presentations and public speaking
- Powerpoint vs. Prezi "Which is right for your project?"
- Powerpoint vs. Prezi overview video
- Long-form content from our workshop
Any student who wants an academic boost can use our services, but most materials target new LMU freshmen.
Faculty may contact firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to discuss your thoughts on Kickstart, to offer contributions, or to collaborate with us on a classroom session or assignment. We particularly strive to address topics and skills addressed in the LMU core curriculum. For example, as more faculty include oral communication components in their curricula, we've included more resources to support the need.
Any of our Kickstart content may be adapted to:
- Individualized support:
- 30 minute appointments are available to students when they contact the ARC at 310.338.2847 to book a Kickstart appointment.
Classroom Visits are available in the following formats:
- 10 minute: recommendations tailored to your course, including an overview of our online/in-person support and/or a discipline-specific discussion with instructor.
- 50 minute: a presentation and at least one whole-class activity. Adaptations for specific courses are possible with the collaboration of the instructor.
Get access by . . .
- Contact the University Advisors at email@example.com and request access. We'll do the rest and send you login instructions, or . . .
Once you've got access, you can check out the content 24/7 via MyLMU Connect, right alongside your courses. Kickstart! will be in the "My Organizations" box on your homepage.
Kickstart includes optional tasks based on your current coursework. Complete these tasks to earn achievements; these achievements can be exported (if you choose) to platforms such as LinkedIn. You can let future employers know, for example, that you've successfully completed a series on time management.
Not sure if Kickstart is right for you? Here's a taste of the practical and big-picture tips you'll find in our videos. Most videos are under five minutes.
To find out more about the research behind and development of Kickstart, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Top image (adapted) courtesy slcmma.com