Tutoring and other forms of academic support are meant to supplement, not replace, course instruction. We have found that students who attend class regularly, complete their assignments, and who meet with faculty during office hours in addition to using the ARC resources tend to outperform their peers. The ARC does not offer private tutoring. Our services are for current LMU students only.
Make an Appointment
Call 310.338.2847 or come in person to the ARC.
Appts available in the ARC in Daum Hall
Questions? Read our Writing FAQ.
Drop-In (No Appointment)
Beginning again in the Fall semester on September 14, 2015, come in person to . . .
The WHH Library
You may also drop in to the ARC
Try our new online writing tutoring!
Online Writing Tutoring Procedures:
- Call the ARC receptionist at 310-338-2847 to set an appointment time for a tutor to review your paper. You must specify that the appointment is for review of an ONLINE PAPER.
- Once the appointment is set, the receptionist will tell you to email the paper as either a Word document or PDF file to ARConlinetutor@lmu.edu no later than 30 minutes prior to the appointment time.
- In your email, please include the assignment instructions as given by your professor AND indicate what type of feedback you want such as thesis, development, organization, grammar, etc.
- Appointments are 30 minutes. If you think your paper will require more than 30 minutes, please let the receptionist know. Receptionists are allowed to make back-to-back 30-minute appointments, if the schedule permits.
- At the time of the appointment, the tutor will read your paper online and provide feedback in the margins.
- The tutor will NOT correct grammar errors or make any changes to your paper, but will highlight errors and give you feedback on how to correct them.
- At the end of the appointment, the tutor will save the document and email it back to you.
- If the tutor didn’t finish commenting on your paper in the 30 or 60 minute session, he/she will send it back anyway and remind you to make another online appointment if needed.
*Appointments are 30 minutes. If you think your paper will require more than 30 minutes, you can ask the receptionist if there are two back-to-back 30-minute appointments available.