Graduation Process

Applying for Degree & the CAPP Report

You must apply for the term in which all degree requirements will be met; this includes a second major and/or any minors.

  • If you have majors in two different Colleges or Schools, the degree earned corresponds to the primary major (e.g., a student whose first major is English and second major is Chemistry will get a Bachelor of Arts degree), and you will submit one application for degree and receive one diploma, which will mention all majors (concentrations and minors do not appear on the diploma).
  • If you complete more than one degree, you will submit an application for each degree and receive a diploma for each degree.

Please review your CAPP report to confirm that degree and program requirements are met. Consult with your academic advisor or Dean’s Office to address any outstanding requirements before registering in the graduation term and/or the Academic Records Coordinator for your college or school in the Office of the Registrar.

Items in NOT MET status should alert you that you may not qualify to graduate and/or walk in Commencement 2018. It is your responsibility to read, understand, and comply with the degree requirements printed in the LMU Bulletin (Undergraduate & Graduate Degree Requirements) and to take action to address all outstanding issues before the degree-granting date.

You may submit an Application for Degree if CAPP shows unmet requirements. In cases when the CAPP report is not met, consider the following and supply documentation, if necessary:

  • Is your registration finalized?
    • Be aware that after the first week of classes, late registration may not be approved.
  • Did substituting one course for another fulfill the requirement?
    • A Petition for CAPP Adjustment must be approved by the Dean’s Office and submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the degree term.
  • Is the requirement to be fulfilled by transfer work from another school?
    • Send the official transcript(s) from that school and Transfer Course Approval to the Office of the Registrar. Refer to Student Services > Student Records > Transfer Information on PROWL to confirm that all transfer work is entered. Please note: Any work taken elsewhere for Spring 2018 must be completed prior to the end of the LMU Spring semester in order to qualify for graduation and participation in Commencement. LMU does not allow enrollment at LMU and another school in the same term if the courses are to be used for degree credit.
  • Are there any grades of Incomplete on your record?
    • You may not graduate with an Incomplete in a degree-required course. If the instructor submits an Incomplete grade on the submitted final grade sheet, the student's application is canceled.
  • Do you have a second major and/or any minor which is not complete?
    • If you are no longer actively pursuing a declared second major and/or minor, it is important that you drop it by submitting a before you submit the Application for Degree and no later than the end of the degree term. Remember that a “What-if Analysis” is necessary to check the progress of a second major that is in a different College or School than the primary major.

After completing and submitting the online Application for Degree, you will receive an email at the address supplied on the form confirming the data you entered. Please allow 10 business days for processing and then check PROWL to confirm the degree status (Student Services > Student Records > View Degree Information). If your application has been processed, you will see one of the following statements which are explained below:

  • PN - Pending - this status means that your CAPP shows all academic requirements as met. Your application will remain PN until the degrees are posted through May and into early June.
  • MR - CAPP shows unmet requirements - this status means that you have not completed the academic requirements because you have outstanding work to complete, or that you need to process CAPP adjustments if the courses are present on CAPP, but not being evaluated in the right groups.
  • CN - Degree application was canceled - if your CAPP shows unmet requirements, you were not eligible for the application term. You must re-apply for your degree in the term in which your CAPP shows all requirements as met. Degrees may not be backdated.
  • AC - Application was canceled - this status means that you were not eligible to apply for degree in the term you submitted. You must re-apply for the term in which your CAPP shows all requirements as met.

Remember that if degree requirements cannot be completed or the degree application is canceled, you must submit a new application for a subsequent semester.

Changes to Diploma Name after Submission

For inclusion in the Commencement program, submit an updated Application for Degree with the appropriate update option checked or email any time prior to Monday, March 12, 2018. After that date, the new diploma name will be printed on the diploma only: PROWL (Student Services > Student Records > View Degree Information).

Remember, only legal names as found on your student record may be printed on the diploma; nicknames or unverified alternate names (e.g., a married or family name) are not accepted. To change your student name on record, submit a Change of Legal Name or SSN

Changes to Diploma Address after Submission

If you need to change your diploma address, submit an updated Application for Degree with the appropriate option checked or email prior to the order date. You may view both the diploma address and the order date on PROWL: Student Services > Student Records > View Degree Information.