All full time faculty members may propose a course for the new Core. The Course Approval Committees review the proposals with an eye to their alignment with the criteria (see below). The role of the department chair/program director and dean is to ascertain the feasibility of the course. Please note that UCCC approval does not guarantee that a course will be offered in any given semester; that decision is made by the faculty member, department chair/program director and the dean (in accordance with usual scheduling policies in a department/program and school/college); however no Core course can be scheduled without approval by the Approval Committee and the UCCC.
Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis. You should allow 6-8 weeks (not counting holidays and semester breaks) for courses to be approved. If substantial revisions are required, it may be longer. Please make sure you submit your proposals early enough to meet any relevant deadlines (such as for Bulletin changes, or to appear in PROWL for registration).
Please follow these guidelines to submit a proposal:
Every proposal must include a course description, learning outcomes, defining characteristics, and assesement plan. Each of these elements must be consistent with the criteria developed for each category in the Core.
If you are proposing both a course and an attached flag or flags, you must fill out the appropriate form for the course AND the appropriate form(s) for the flag. Since the propoals go to the different approval committees, this will ensure that all proposals are evaluated for alignment with the criteria in an efficient manner.
In addition you should:
- Be certain to save your course proposal and CC your department chair/program director and your dean or the dean's representative (in most cases, the associate dean is the dean's representative; check with your dean and/or associate dean for this information) when you electronically submit your course application to email@example.com.
- Your chair and dean can approve your proposal by sending an e-mail message stating approval to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once we receive you chair's/director's and dean's approval, your course proposal will be reviewed by the appropriate course approval committee of the UCCC.
- No proposal will be reviewed by a course approval committee without both your chair's/director's and dean's approval.
- Upon committee approval, you will receive word from the UCCC, with a copy to your chair/director and dean.
- For more information on the Core course proposal process, please click here.
Recommended browser is Firefox. If you are having trouble opening the applications, please click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader. For Macs, please make sure to select Adobe rather than Preview to view the PDFs (this may require making Adobe your default program). If you see the "Please Wait" page, click on the download icon (next to the printer icon on the right top); this should open the pdf file. If you continue to have difficulties opening the file, contact email@example.com (click on address above). For issues with Firefox, clik on Firefox, select options, select applications, from the list locate "portable document format" and select adobe reader undera action column, then clic OK. If you continue to have trouble with Firefox, please click here for recommended solutions or contact the ITS Helpdesk at x87777.
Once your proposal has been submitted to the UCCCC, you will be able to track it's progress through the approval process via the Core Implementation page on MYLMUCONNECT.