The Sisters of Saint Joseph of Orange have been part of the LMU Community since the merger of Loyola University and Marymount College and, since that time, around one third of the Sisters have participated in the LMU community as administrators, staff, faculty and/or students/ alums, giving to and gaining from that wonderful relationship. We have worked in various offices, academic departments, Campus Ministry, and most recently the Center for Ignatian Spirituality. We are proud of our service to LMU and, with the opening of the CSJ Center for Reconciliation and Justice in 2012, look forward to continuing our presence among the LMU community in an additional capacity, helping where there are needs and opportunities in the areas of reconciliation and justice.
The Sisters of St. Joseph trace their history back to 17th Century France when a Jesuit named Jean Pierre Médaille, SJ, assisted a group of women involved in ministry with the poor. He helped them to organize an order of religious women who, rather than remaining safely cloistered in a convent, would venture out into the community, seeking out "the dear neighbors," and ministering to their needs. The congregation managed to survive the turbulence of the French Revolution and eventually expanded, not only throughout France, but throughout the world.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange were founded in 1912. Their ministries include healthcare, education, retreat ministry, spiritual direction and pastoral ministry.