The Yoga Therapy Rx internship program (level 4) is designed for students who have successfully completed the first three courses (basic, advanced and clinical) to apply and refine their administrative and clinical skills in an active medical setting. Under the supervision of resident physicians and instructors, the year-long internship program will prepare students to work as a professional Yoga therapists with chronic pain clients in a medical or allied health setting.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will demonstrate proficiency in:
- Obtaining and understanding critical information from a medical chart in order to safely work with clients as part of the health and wellness team
- Applying basic clinical medical terminology
- Using pharmacology Web sites and applications to obtain and understand medication indications, precautions and side effects
- Searching and critically reviewing medical and Yoga research databases for relevant clinical evidence. Assessing Yoga Therapy clients and prescribing safe therapeutic practices including specific asana, pranayama, meditation, Bhavana and lifestyle modifications
- Communicating with physicians and other healthcare providers through SOAP notes and written Yoga Therapy Reports in a clinical setting
- Adhering to the California Yoga Teacher Code of Ethics, Yoga Therapy scope of practice and HIPAA regulations. Referring to appropriate medical professionals when indicated
- Planning, designing and implementing individualized six-week Yoga Therapy programs for clients with chronic pain
Course and program requirements, schedules and tuition are subject to change; and additional fees may be incurred for books and materials. Click here to review all policies prior to enrollment. For additional information, contact the Center for Religion and Spirituality at (310) 338-2799 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the program facilitators directly (listed below under 'Faculty').
Registration + Fees
Begins: The course will begin in Spring 2017
Tuition: $3,500 (based on 2016 tuition, subject to change when the course begins)
Prerequisite: Students must have received a certificate of completion in Clinical Yoga Therapy Rx (YRTX 830) with a RYT-500 or ERYT-500 credential.
Prior to enrollment, students will also need to show proof of (1) Yoga teacher liability coverage, (2) successful completion of UCLA online HIPAA course, (3) negative TB test, (4) and compliance (signed consent) with the California Yoga Code of Ethics. In addition, students will need to provide their own lab coat with name-tag and $1,000,000-liability insurance coverage, as required by the Venice Family Clinic.
Classes meet once a month on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Clinic rounds take place during the week in the Summer term. Exact dates will be posted when the course opens for enrollment.
LMU Westchester Campus
1 LMU Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Venice Family Clinic
604 Rose Ave.
Venice, CA 90291
- Lori Rubenstein Fazzio, D.P.T., Facilitator
- Teri Roseman
- Kathleen Ross-Allee
- Julie Carmen
- Course Requirements
Yoga Therapy Rx IV Internship
13.0 Semester Hours
Yoga Therapy is a synthesis of the ageless wisdom from the East with the most recent knowledge in complementary health from the West, and is a means to manage illness or facilitate healing. This internship course is designed for students who have successfully completed the first three courses (basic, advanced and clinical) to apply and refine their administrative and clinical skills in an active medical setting. Under the supervision of resident physicians and instructors, this internship will prepare students to work as a professional Yoga therapists with chronic pain clients in a medical or allied health setting. Prerequisite: Yoga Therapy Rx III