NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Exam Preparation
If you want an exciting career helping others achieve their fitness goals, start with our NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Exam Preparation course. It’s a unique online training program that prepares students for the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) exam. The NCCA-accredited NASM personal trainer certification is one of the most respected in the health and fitness industry. Start with our prep course to become a certified personal trainer (CPT) and reach your career goals.
Details + Objective
You Will Learn
- Mastery of health and fitness topics, including nutrition, program design, human movement science, and fitness assessments, among others.
- Teaching, customer service, and first aid skills.
- Organizational and communication skills.
How the course is taught
- This program is entirely online and is completed at your own pace. When you register, you receive six (6) months to complete the program.
- A robust set of resources will be available to you (videos, presentations, readings, quizzes, activities).
- ed2go will provide the required textbook for this program: NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training.
How you will benefit
- Prepares you for a career as a Fitness/wellness manager
- Prepares you for a career as a Physical therapy assistant
- Prepares you for a career as an Exercise physiologist/specialist
- Prepares you for a career as an Athletic trainer
Registration + Fees
Begins: Open enrollment | Registration will open soon
Units: 8 semester hours of continuing education non-degree credit
Tuition: $1,495 | Prospective students of this program may be eligible for full or partial federal tuition assistance under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.
I. Introduction and Resistance Training Concepts
A. Physical activity guidelines as they relate to the Optimum Performance Training (OPT) Model
B. Models of resistance training
C. Effective exercise techniques
II. Human Movement Assessments/Fitness Testing and Evaluation
A. Major muscles and their functions
B. Subjective, objective, and performance assessments
C. Movement and postural assessments
III. Concepts of Integrated Training - Flexibility, Cardiorespiratory, and Core
A. Principles of human movement and flexibility
B. Benefits of cardiorespiratory fitness
C. Importance of the core
D. Proper exercise technique
E. Progressions and regressions
F. General differences in the stages of training for exercises
IV. Concepts of Integrated Training - Balance, Plyometric, and SAQ
B. Plyometric (reactive)
C. Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training
D. Safe and effective techniques
E. Progressions and regressions
F. Differences in training for these concepts in each phase of the OPT model
V. Design of Fitness Programs and Modalities
A. Program design using the OPT model
B. Acute training variables
C. Different exercise modalities
D. Various models of resistance training
VI. Human Movement Science/Exercise Modalities and Technique
A. Structure and function of the human body
B. Functions of anatomy and physiology during exercise
C. Systems related to exercise
D. Metabolism and how it is affected by exercise
VII. Special Populations, Nutrition, and Professional Development
A. Program design adaptations for individuals with health impairments or physical conditions
B. Basic concepts to nutrition, supplementation, communication skills and goal setting strategies
VIII. Certification Exam Preparation
A. Test taking strategies
B. Practice exam
C. Make a self-remediation plan based on your results
D. Review NASM’s standards of professional practice as a professional fitness trainer.
There are no prerequisites to take the online NASM CPT Certified Personal Trainer Certification and Exam Preparation program, but there are prerequisites to complete the NCCA Accredited Certification Exam.
The NCCA Accredited Certification Exam Requirements:
- Candidate must be at least 18 years old or have a high school diploma or GED
- Candidate must hold current CPR/AED certification before attempting the exam (not included with program)
The NCCA accredited NASM CPT Personal Trainer Exam is taken at a local testing center (PSI), and you can schedule your exam date after completion of the program.
This program can be taken on a Mac or a PC. On a PC, it is compatible with Windows 7 and later operating systems and the current versions of Firefox, Chrome, or IE 11 and later browsers.
On a Mac, the program is compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 and later operating systems and the current versions of Firefox, Chrome, or Safari 8 or later browsers.
We recommend that you use Chrome and Firefox in place of other web browsers.
Adobe Flash Player is required for this program.
ed2go will provide the required textbooks for this program:
- NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training
You’ll also receive access to practice exams and study materials, to help you prepare for your certification exam.