Alcohol Myths

There are many little known facts and many known myths about alcohol and its consumption. 
Some of the myths include:

Myth: "The worst thing that can happen is that I’ll pass out and have a hangover tomorrow." 
The fact is that death can and does occur from drinking too much alcohol. This is known as alcohol poisoning or acute alcohol intoxication and occurs when the level of alcohol in the body acts as a poison, causing death from the drug overdose. Another way that alcohol can cause death is due to alcohol related accidents, such as drunk driving, falls, and suicide.

Myth: "People pass out from drinking all the time. It’s nothing to worry about."
The fact is that you pass out due to the body’s inability to tolerate the amount of alcohol that you have put into it. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant that works to slow down the heart rate, lower your blood pressure, and slow your breathing rate. Once your brain has been depressed enough by the alcohol, you pass out. The amount of alcohol it takes to make you pass out is dangerously close to the amount of alcohol it takes to make you dead!

Myth: "The best thing to do for someone who is drunk is to put them to bed and let them sleep it off."
Although this is partly true, the fact is that a drunk person is helpless and must be cared for. DO NOT LEAVE A DRUNK (INTOXICATED) PERSON ALONE!!!!! Stay with the person, check their breathing, check their skin temperature, and frequently try to wake them.

Myth: "If my friend passed out, I wouldn’t call for help. I couldn’t live with myself if I got them in trouble".
The fact is that if you don’t call for help, your friend may not live to be mad at you. When someone passes out from drinking too much, they are unconscious and have consumed too much alcohol. This person is suffering from alcohol poisoning and needs medical attention.