The University thanks the veterans for their service and welcomes veteran students, spouses, and dependents to participate in the VA Chapter Benefit Entitlements at LMU:
- Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill® (Prior Active Duty)
- Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services
- Chapter 32: VEAP (Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program)
- Chapter 33: Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 33/Yellow Ribbon GI Enhancement Program (Information on LMU's participation)
- Chapter 35: Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (EAP)
- Chapter 1606: National Guard or Reserve (Montgomery GI Bill)
- Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
The Office of Financial Aid has information on all LMU Veteran Benefits.
Determination and Eligibility of Educational Benefits
- The VA determines student eligibility to receive educational benefits. Certification depends upon your VA-determined eligibility, enrollment status, and program of study. Interested students should complete and submit the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) on the VA eBenefits site. To complete an application on-line, you will need LMU’s VA Code number: 3-1-5042-05.
- To check on the status of your application, remaining entitlement, or any other general questions, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs educational hotline: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or submit a question electronically through Ask a Question.
Transfer of Benefits
- First-time LMU students who have previously used their benefit(s) at another institution and would like to begin utilizing it here should submit one of the following forms electronically utilizing VONAPP or eBenefits:
- All GI Bill recipients, excluding Chapter 35 and Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training
- Students utilizing Chapter 35 or the Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training
- The LMU School Certifying Officer (SCO) is Mr. William Salvini in the Office of the Registrar and may be reached via email or at 310.338.5765. It is recommended that you make an appointment to speak with him. Once you have completed the VA application process and paid your commitment fee to the University, you will need to submit the following documentation to LMU's SCO (contact information below):
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or VA-authorized replacement: This notice is sent to the beneficiary from the VA stating the specific VA Educational benefits. Students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit may print this from their eBenefits account; ensure that the time and percentage of coverage is clearly indicated on the form.
- For Chapter 35 recipients: We must have a copy of your COE and the sponsor’s Social Security Number before we can process any benefits.
Notification of Intent to Use Benefits (New and Continuing Students)
- Students requesting certification of their VA educational benefit for a term must complete the VA Benefits Semester Enrollment form. This form notifies the certifying official that you are enrolled and would like to utilize VA benefits. This form must be submitted EVERY semester and summer session in which you have enrolled and plan to use your benefit.
Certification of Hours to the VA
- LMU provides a Pre-Certification of Hours to the VA in advance of the term (but no more than 60 days prior) and the Official Certification after the initial week of drop/add activity. Reports on enrollments to the VA are also made at the end of the term. The University is required to inform the VA of any drop or withdrawal activity throughout the course of the semester. See guidelines.
- The student receiving benefits is solely responsible for knowing the status of the benefits, e.g., how much of the benefit has been used and how much coverage (time and amount) remains. If a student submits the semester enrollment form, LMU will certify if any coverage is possible. LMU is not responsible for consequences resulting from a requested certification. The student should contact the VA if there are questions about the status of benefits: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
- When using benefits, it is the student's responsibility to notify the University's SCO of any/all enrollment change(s), e.g., add, drop, withdraw, cancellations, etc., as soon as they occur in the semester. This may be done in-person and/or by email from your LION email account only to VA.Certification@lmu.edu. Failure to do so may result in delayed payment and/or VA debt.
Offices dealing with VA benefits are all located in the Von der Ahe Building (interactive campus map):
Student Affairs' Veteran Programs Office is located in Malone Center 201