Prepare to Register

Items to consider in the registration process:

  • First Time Using PROWL

    Steps for the first-time use

    Your login is your 9-digit LMU ID number (begins with the number 9)

    Your PIN default is your six-digit birth date (MMDDYY).

    As a first-time user, you will be prompted to change your PIN and select a pre-defined security question (you may create your own) and answer.

    Then, three screens are presented to you, all of which have mandatory responses.

    1. Emergency Contact Information – you must enter contact information
    2. LMU Alert – you must enter your alert contact information
    3. Ethnicity – although you do not have to declare an ethnicity, you are required to scroll through the screen and either select or decline to declare an ethnicity.

    After these steps, your account is activated and you may choose from the PROWL offerings or proceed to other University online modules.

    Reset your PROWL PIN here.

  • Advising

    LMU instructors serve as academic advisors to assist students in planning programs of study while at LMU. Seeking the guidance of an advisor is not always required, but is helpful to the student when making important academic and career decisions. The advisor‘s name can be found in PROWL (Student Services > Registration > Check Your Registration Status). Advisors hold office hours during the school year or can be contacted through email. See Academic Advising in the Bulletin.

    Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts University Hall 4600 310.338.2716
    College of Business Administration Hilton Building 200 310.338.2700
    College of Communication & Fine Arts St. Robert's Hall 101 310.338.7430
    Frank R. Seaver College of Science & Engineering UG - North Hall 103
    GR - Pereira Hall 100
    School of Film & Television Xavier Hall 216 310.338.3033
    School of Education University Hall 2100 310.258.8768
  • Registration Holds

    PROWL: Student Services>Registration>View Holds displays the hold as well as information on how the hold may be removed. You will need to resolve all holds on your record PRIOR to registration. The most common holds are:

    Address and Emergency Contact Hold - Automatically removed as soon as the student submits the necessary information in PROWL: (Personal Information>View>Update Emergency Contact Information).

    Advisor's Hold - Removed by the academic advisor after the student meets for academic advisement

    Controller - Contact the Student Accounts Office

    LMU Alert - Contact the Department of Public Safety

    Off-Campus Student Housing - Contact the OC Office

  • Restrictions

    PROWL will display a message when a course has restrictions. You may need to seek a restriction override from your advisor or Associate Dean's Office

    Students may, in most cases, repeat courses previously taken at LMU but should be aware of academic policy and financial aid policies.

    • Individualized Studies, Internships, Directed Research, and Special Projects cannot be registered for via PROWL. You must submit to the Office of the Registrar a completed and signed Independent Studies form.
    • Pre-requisites: You are responsible for meeting pre-requisite requirements on courses. If you do not have the necessary prerequisites for a course you will not be able to register for that course in PROWL. Exceptions to this policy are requested through the Department chairperson or the Dean's Office.
    • Students Returning from a Leave of Absence: Once the online form is submitted, the Registrar's Office will send the student an email with further information on how to proceed.
    • Students Registering while at Study Abroad: These students will receive a registration time as other continuing students. The registration time is always referenced in Pacific Standard Time and may not be moved for other time zone considerations.
      • Undergraduate students, if eligible, may enroll in 18 or more semester hours with the approval of their Dean’s Office.
        A graduate student may not take more than 15 units in a semester.

    Students with financial aid or other financial awards should consult the full-time financial aid policy.