Filing for Degree

All degree candidates must submit an Application for Degree to the Office of the Registrar by the dates specified below whether or not they intend to participate in Commencement. Allow 10 business days for processing and then check PROWL to confirm the degree status (Student Services > Student Records > View Degree Information).

Degree Conferral Date
Filing Dates
May 5 or 6, 2018 Friday, January 12, 2018: Students must apply by this date to be considered for department and university awards. Because of the high volume of applications received in preparation for Commencement, students are strongly encouraged to apply for degree as soon as possible after registering for Spring 2018 courses.
Saturday, May 5, 2018: Application deadline for Undergraduates
Sunday, May 6, 2018: Application deadline for Graduates
August 31, 2018 Friday, August 31, 2018: Application deadline
December 31, 2018 Monday, December 31, 2018: Application deadline

After registering for classes in the last term, students should review CAPP and ensure that their program(s) are being audited correctly. Students who change a program or elect a different set of requirements for a program might need to submit additional paperwork, e.g., Adjustment or a Change of Program. A student may not graduate unless CAPP states that all program requirements --including a second major and/or any minors -- are met.

Students are eligible to walk in the May 2018 Commencement ceremony if they:

  • were awarded a degree in August or December 2017 and did not participate in the Spring 2017 ceremony
  • are Bachelor's or Master's candidates with intent to graduate in May, August, or December 2018
  • are a Doctoral candidate with approval from the Doctoral Program.

Applications for degree must include:

  • the diploma name - this is the legal name under which you registered at the University. Changes to this name requires legal documentation.
  • the student’s diploma mailing address - diplomas are sent USPS normally within three weeks of degree posting.

Students whose diploma name has diacritical marks should e-mail

The filing of the Application for Degree is only one of several degree requirements and does not guarantee a degree will be awarded.

The CAPP Report

It is important that degree applicants review their CAPP report to confirm whether or not degree and program requirements are met. Only active academic programs should appear on CAPP. Remember to drop any major or minor you are not actively pursuing before you submit the Application for Degree and no later than the end of the degree term. Items in NOT MET status should alert students that they possibly may not qualify to graduate and/or walk in Commencement 2018.

In cases when the CAPP report is not met, students should consider the following and supply documentation:

  • Was the requirement previously fulfilled at another school?
    • The official transcript(s) from that school and/or Transfer Course Approval may be missing. Refer to Student Services > Student Records > Transfer Information on PROWL for details.
  • Did substituting one course for another fulfill the requirement?
    • A Petition for CAPP Adjustment must be approved by the Dean’s Office and submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the degree term. CAPP looks for exact LMU course numbering to fulfill requirements.
  • Will the requirement be fulfilled at another school during 2018?
    • A Transfer Course Approval must be submitted. Please note: Any work taken elsewhere for Spring 2018 must be completed prior to the end of the LMU Spring semester in order to qualify for graduation and participation in Commencement. LMU does not allow enrollment at LMU and another school in the same term for the purposes of transferring degree credit to LMU.
  • Are there any grades of Incomplete from Spring 2018 or other terms?
    • Students must have submitted missing coursework to the professor for the assignment of grade.
  • Will the degree be completed with courses taken at LMU in Fall or Summer 2018?
    • If you have already registered, these courses will appear on CAPP.
  • Do you have a second major and/or any minor which is not complete?