The University works with international students with no government sponsorship and students who are sponsored through the Cultural Missions of governments to provide the necessary certifications to report on academic progress as required by the government and/or Mission. For financial payments and concerns, the Offices of Financial Aid and the Student Financial Services (Student Accounts) work to ensure that tuition and reimbursements are handled so that a student remains current with an account and is therefore eligible to register for courses. Both offices are in the Von der Ahe building.
The Office of the Registrar (also in Von der Ahe) works with the students to ensure that required documentation is sent to allow for continued registration. Some Missions supply the students with forms to submit to LMU for verifications. The University will accept the forms submitted by the student; however, the forms are not used by LMU in reporting back to the Missions. The University takes a comprehensive approach to verifications of student records and offers more data than what a particular form might request. The Cultural Missions know they receive the information on an LMU-formatted report, and accept these in lieu of the forms.
Generally, two verifications are provided:
- Verification of Enrollment - provided each semester of enrollment.
- The Verification of Enrollment identifies the student with name and LMU ID, and the reported fields are: Student entry term; verification term(s); enrollment status and hours; degree sought; majors; second majors; concentration(s); minor(s); required online course(s); elective online course(s); transfer hours accepted at LMU; total hours required by the degree program; earned; remaining; ancitipated graduation date.
- Verification of Degree - provided at the end of a student's career after degree posting.
- The Verification of Degree identifies the student with name and LMU ID, and the reported fields are: Student entry term; degree earned; major; second majors; concentration(s); minor(s); required online course(s); elective online course(s); degree posted on.
In addition to the student data, the standard text is printed on each verification:
- The University's Program Requirements:
- Undergraduate Programs require a minimum 120 to 128 earned hours.
- Graduate Programs require a minimum of 30 earned hours.
- A student may be required to complete more than the minimum required hours for the degree, but never less.
- Anticipated Graduation for Degree-Seeking Students:
- Undergraduate Career: calculated as four-year programs for entering undergraduate students
- Graduate Career: calculated as two-year programs for entering graduate students
- About LMU:
- Loyola Marymount University is authorized to grant degrees in the State of California.
- English is the language of instruction except for foreign language studies.
- All academic programs are resident to the LMU campus unless otherwise designated.
HOW TO REQUEST VERIFICATION: An international student requests either or both types of verification through one online form. Requests must come through this form; other requests will be returned to the student. The form also allows for an attachment(s); a student may attach the government's or Mission's enrollment form if desired, but, as above, it will not be used. International Verification Form
Q: Which unit total is reported? A: The degree audit shows totals from earned and in-progress courses; the unofficial transcripts shows totals from earned units only. LMU reports only the earned units.
Q: What if I have additional required courses (units) to what is printed on my degree audit? A: There is a box on the form in which you may enter these required courses.
Q: What if I have other concerns or questions? A: There is a box on the form for these.
Questions can be addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org.