Acknowledging that we are in a competitive environment, we will cultivate a university-wide passion for excellence and a sharp focus on communicating our successes. We will set high standards for all that we do, honestly assess goals and achievements, and develop a culture of continuous improvement. We understand that to achieve academic excellence and accountability for the cost of an LMU education requires strategic prioritization of resources, innovative collaboration and high standards of operational excellence.
Objective 1: Enhance university success by establishing and tracking measurable indicators of achievement.
Rationale: LMU needs to accurately evaluate university-wide performance and the effectiveness of individual units in supporting and promoting the university’s core mission. We must choose university-wide benchmarks that will improve our competitiveness and ensure that unit benchmarks are aligned with university-wide indicators of success. Especially in light of the rapidly changing higher education eco-system, agile and effective structures will enable a responsive enterprise and competitive edge.
- Establish university and unit-based benchmarks; periodically assess attainment of these benchmarks; and establish systems for ensuring that the results of assessments are used for accountability and improvement.
- Develop processes and tools to ensure coordination, communication and collaboration across units and departments in order to minimize duplication of effort and maximize quality, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Regularly review the allocation and use of university resources to ensure that they are efficiently and effectively deployed and are aligned with the university’s strategic priorities.
- Enhance the program review process to ensure that all academic departments and programs meet high standards for quality, recognizing that diversity and inclusion are necessary for academic excellence. Use results of reviews to make decisions about resource allocation and continuation of programs.
- Establish benchmarks for good practice in the recruitment of administrators and staff in order to achieve inclusive excellence.
Objective 2: Significantly enhance the reputation of the university.
Rationale: In today’s increasingly competitive and changing market for higher education, the public’s perception of LMU is critical. Our brand equity must be high. LMU’s reputational capital is vital to all aspects of our operation, from the caliber of our students and faculty to our financial prosperity and the employment prospects of our graduates.
- Make a university-wide, multi-year commitment to aggressively build our brand.
- Leverage our physical location in Los Angeles by emphasizing the intellectual, social and ecological richness of the region.
- Create user-friendly processes for developing external communications; encourage greater ownership and responsibility for improving communication activities; and ensure consistency with the university brand and compliance with university standards.
- Develop strong, consistent messages based on our mission, unique strengths and location.
- Strengthen our media presence so that it represents LMU as well as our physical presence currently does.