The LMU Study Abroad Team understands that there are challenges related to funding a study abroad opportunity. We strive to make sure that our programming is as approachable financially as possible. This being said, the total cost of studying abroad varies by program and location.
Each online LMU program brochure contains a program costs section where you are able to view estimates of the tuition, program fee, and the inclusions.
Study Abroad Budget Worksheet (Featured Semester Programs)
In order to determine the approximate total cost of your study abroad program, consider your budget for the items listed within this Semester Budget Worksheet. This is a list of possible expenses and is not meant to be all-inclusive. While this is a good tool to review expenses, we are not able to guarantee that this will be the final cost as many items are estimates.
Here are some considerations when you are planning your funding for a Semester Study Abroad Program:
- Institutional aid from the Financial Aid Office (including grants, scholarships, LMU loans) is available during the semester term for featured programs ONLY.
- As an LMU student, you are eligible to receive financial aid during the semester you will be studying abroad provided that you have met all other eligibility requirements. Please address any specific questions about your financial aid eligibility with the LMU Financial Aid Office: financialaid.lmu.edu.
Additional Scholarships Available to You:
- The Study Abroad Financial Assistance Grant: The Study Abroad Financial Assistance Grant supports undergraduate students who have financial need and are participating in LMU and Featured Study Abroad Programs. The award is based on financial need and a project proposal. Grant amounts will vary and are placed directly into your student account to go towards the program fee. You may apply for this grant through the Study Abroad online portal when the application for Spring 2018 opens.
To complete the Study Abroad Financial Assistance Grant application, you will answer the following questions:
- Describe the details affecting your financial situation to explain why you will need additional financial support for your study abroad experience.
- To receive the Study Abroad Scholarship, you will be required to carry out a Study Abroad Grant Project on the LMU campus the semester after you return to campus. Please write a proposal explaining how you will give back by inspiring others to pursue their own experience abroad. Below please provide a proposal that outlines the following: a) description of the project, b) describe who your target community is, c) explain how this project will impact your chosen community, and d) explain how you will integrate your own experiences abroad into your project.
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship: The Gilman International Scholarship Program offers competitive scholarships for US undergraduate students at a 2-year or 4-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, this program requires both US citizenship as well as being a current recipient of a Federal Pell Grant. The deadline for Spring 2018 is October 3, 2017. APPLY NOW
- Visit the Scholarship and Grants section for information on additional scholarships.