LMU is home to the First To Go Program, an on-campus resource for first-generation college students to maximize their LMU experience.
As an incoming first-year student, you are invited to join LMU’s First To Go community, a supportive network for first-generation students whose parent(s) and/or guardian(s) have not completed a bachelor's degree at an American university.
Among the resources offered through the First To Go Community is the First To Go Scholars Program, which requires a year-long academic commitment from participating first-generation students for the 2020-21 academic year. This program has an on-campus living component that aims to create a living learning environment for incoming first-year, first-generation college students.
First To Go Scholars Program Benefits/Requirements:
- Enroll in First-Gen Forever, a living and learning community (LLC). This is a year-long commitment that will guarantee first-year housing. Off-campus/commuter students are also welcomed.
- Enroll in two Core Curriculum classes together (e.g., First Year Seminar and Rhetorical Arts) over the course of an academic year, in addition to a one-unit seminar on the first-generation experience.
- Attend a mandatory program retreat. First To Go Scholars will learn about campus resources, participate in field trips, and meet first-generation faculty, staff, and peer mentors. A welcome orientation for First-Gen Parents and Families will also be offered. All activities are at no cost to participants.
All first generation LMU students, whether participating in the Scholars Program or not, are encouraged to join LMU’s First To Go community. Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Year-round Programming
- Writing and Publishing Opportunities
- Specialized Courses
- Mentorship Networks
- Potential Travel Engagements
- Academic and Personal Advising
We look forward to you joining our growing first-gen community!
While we are no longer accepting applications for the First To Go Scholars Program this year, the application cycle for the 2021-2022 academic year will open in April 2021. Stay tuned!
For more information about LMU’s First To Go program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-338-7677. You can also read more about the program from the perspective of First To Go Scholar Victoria Arevalo.