Students are responsible for…
- Owning their educational goals and creating a plan that reflects those goals through curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Become knowledgeable about LMU’s programs, policies, and procedures.
- Familiarizing themselves with the University Bulletin.
- Understanding the Core Curriculum and its requirements for a holistic Jesuit education.
- Knowing the requirements for their program of study and tracking their progress towards degree completion.
- Navigating LMU’s academic platforms such as PROWL, Degree Works, and the Registration Interface.
- Checking the academic calendar each semester and identifying important dates.
- Consulting with an academic advisor at appropriate times during the semester.
- Coming prepared to each academic advising appointment with questions and materials for discussion.
- Utilizing available academic resources, services, and programs.
- Establishing and maintaining communication with appropriate LMU staff & faculty.
- Accepting responsibility for their actions and decisions.
Advisors are responsible for…
- Helping students understand the aforementioned responsibilities.
- Protecting and securing the integrity of an LMU degree by enforcing LMU and departmental policies and requirements.
- Understanding and communicating accurate information about LMU’s Core Curriculum, degree requirements, the registration process, and policies and procedures to provide helpful academic advice.
- Assisting students in navigating their academic questions.
- Being available, approachable, and personable, as well as demonstrating a concern and interest in students’ success.
- Encouraging students to own their academic journey by providing the tools necessary to achieve their goals.
- Supporting students in gaining skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans.
- Introducing students to tools for academic success.
- Providing students with information about and strategies for utilizing the available resources and services on campus, and making appropriate referrals when necessary.
- Maintaining confidentiality with each student.
Note: While advisors are available to assist students in their academic journey, students are ultimately responsible for satisfying all degree requirements as outlined in the University Bulletin.