Advising Resources FAQ

Get answers to many frequently asked questions here. Still have questions? Email



  • How do I know who my advisor is?

    ‌Each student at LMU is assigned an advisor within their respective college or school.  Meet with your assigned advisor prior to registration each semester and any time you have questions regarding degree requirements.  To find out who your assigned advisor is, you need to check PROWL from your mylmu account.  Once on PROWL, you can find your advisor under "Check Registration Status" and the bottom of your CAPP report:

    This image shows screenshots of the two ways to find your advisor within PROWL.

    To schedule an appointment with your advisor, the best method of reaching them is via email or phone. Within PROWL there is an icon to email your advisor directly, or you can find their contact information in the LMU online directoryIn addition to your assigned advisor, you can receive advising support from your Department Chair or the Dean's Office of your college or school.

    The information above is included in our Registration and Advising Guide.  Click to download in a new window.

  • How do I know what the graduation requirements are?

    All program and degree requirements can be found in the LMU Bulletin. The Bulletin is published by the Office of the Registrar.  Program information from the Bulletin appears in your CAPP Report to show your personal progress toward these graduation requirements.  You should also spend some time learning more about the Core curriculum and how students in your major and College/School usually fulfill these requirements.  Finally, learn how to navigate the Schedule of Classes to view upcoming course offerings that will fulfill your remaining requirements.  Continue reading the FAQs for more on each of these items.

    Image shows small screenshots of the most common advising tools necessary for registration: the Bulletin, the CAPP Report, the Schedule of Classes, and materials from advisors in major, College, or School.

    If you'd like to learn more about how to navigate the Bulletin, watch the video below:


  • How do I know what the Core curriculum includes?

    The LMU Core curriculum represents shared topics for coursework that all LMU students complete as part of their graduation requirements.  Each student at LMU will have a unique experience with his or her Core; there are many courses that fulfill Core requirements and many programs that require or recommend specific courses.  To learn more about the Core recommendations for your major, speak with your assigned advisor.  You may also find more details on this page.

    Watch our 2-minute guide to the Core and Flags below

    Reminder: see your advisor and your College/School for your specific situation

     This video is brought to you by two LMU students from SFTV: Natalie Perez (Production) and Kevin Chan (Animator).

    This image shows a breakdown of the LMU core curriculum by section, including flags.

  • How do I find out more about registration?

    Read the other segments on this page to learn key features of registration tools, such as the Schedule of Classes, CAPP Report, and the Bulletin.  If you'd like more information, please refer to the Office of the Registrar's Registration FAQ page.  Your official advising information always comes from your major department and your College/School. If you still have questions, contact your assigned advisor, Department Chair, or your dean's office contact. 

    The video below from LMU ITS explains the technology used to register:

    An explanation of these tools and more is available for download here: Registration and Advising Guide.

  • How do I know where to find academic forms?

    The LMU Registrar’s office manages the administration of official paperwork and student records. Common forms include the Change of Program, CAPP adjustments, incomplete grades, transfer course approvals and general petitions.  Downloadable forms can be found on the Registrar’s Office website under "forms."

  • How do I find and read the Schedule of Classes?

    There are two ways to find the Schedule of Classes: through PROWL and through the MyLMU Portal.  These schedules are synced, so they are both live and accurate, but they show slightly different information.  It is usually helpful to use them both!  You can watch our video below to learn how to navigate the schedule of classes, or scroll down for images of key features.


    There are two ways to find the schedule of classes: through PROWL and through the MyLMU Portal.  This image shows screenshots of both locations.


    Here are a few key features of the Schedule of Classes from the MyLMU portal:

    This image shows a screenshot of the schedule of classes and identifies some key features.

    For more, click the link to download our Registration and Advising Guide to explore the basic LMU advising tools.

  • How do I find my CAPP Report?

    Your CAPP Report shows your progress toward your graduation requirements.  In addition to the information below, you can read this page from the LMU Office of the Registrar.  You can find your CAPP Report by:

    1. Logging in to PROWL
    2. Clicking on "Student Records"
    3. Clicking on "CAPP Report" and "Generating a New Evaluation" for your degree.

    You can watch the video below for a walk-through, or scroll down for a static image.


    This image shows the top of a student's CAPP report and several identifying features.  The CAPP Report helps LMU students understand how their courses are applied toward graduation requirements.

  • How do I declare my major?

    To be accepted into any major, you must be in good academic standing (previous term and cumulative GPA's 2.0 or above). Certain majors require the completion of specific pre-requisite courses and/or an application to be considered for entrance into the college. Refer to the University Bulletin and meet with the appropriate people in the college and department for specific requirements.

    Below is an image of the form used to declare your major, the Change of Program Petition:

    This images shows the Change of Program Petition with order in which students receive their signatures: from the new Chair, then new Dean's Office, and then (if necessary) deleting the previous program.

    The general steps for declaring a major/minor include:

    1. Student fills out the top portion of the Change of Program Petition form with his/her information
    2. Student meets with the 2017-2018 Chairs and Program Directors List of the intended academic program to confirm their choice, clarify requirements, and obtain the required signature.
    3. Student takes the form to the Dean's Office for the major he/she wishes to enter.  Unless you are adding or dropping an additional program, this is your final signature.  
    4. Once the form is complete, submit the form to the Office of the Registrar in Von der Ahe 150.  Be sure to check your PROWL to verify that the new major is listed and that you have been assigned an advisor in the college.

    Watch our "Exploring Majors" video below for more about a change of program, like adding a major or minor.

  • How do I explore majors?

    To begin your exploration process, it is helpful to share your major exploration concerns with your assigned academic advisor; often students are anxious about their choices and feel relieved after learning more about their program opportunities. Undeclared or exploring students may attend campus events for specific programs or general exploration, like the one shown below!

    You can start your exploration at any time by using these resources:

    Major Exploration Procedures by College/School:

    If you already know your major(s) of interest, reach out to the Department Chair or College/School for more information about declaring that particular major.  Depending on the program, you may need to complete coursework or audition before you are eligible to apply.  If your program has any specific requirements to apply, clarify the application details and deadline.

    Undeclared students must declare a major by the time they complete 60 units (earn Junior class standing). 

    "Can I major and minor across Colleges within the University?" 

    The answer is yes!  Many Undeclared students eventually pursue a major from one College/School and a minor in a different College or School.  If you think you might want to explore multiple programs (e.g. a double-major), it is important to start exploring your interests early to support a four-year graduation timeline. 


  • How do I get started if I'm not attending LMU yet?

    University Advising works with students once they've officially started at LMU.  Until then . . . 

    For Prospective Students:

    • Please learn more from LMU Admissions:
    • If you still have questions, please email

    For Incoming Freshmen: 

    For Transfer Students:  

  • How do I get my advising questions answered?If you have questions about academic

    If you have questions about academic advising, please refer to our University Advising page.