Awarding of Degree and Diploma
The Office of the Registrar processes the degree posting in a responsible and efficient manner. The Office is unable to accept requests for expedited posting as it understands that each degree is important and time is of the essence; emails and messages requesting such cannot be answered or returned at this time. Please note that the posting of degrees may take up to 30 business days after the graduation date. Similarly, requests for expedited diploma handling cannot be accommodated.
If you applied for a degree by the deadline and, after the posting of final grades, your audit shows all degree requirements as met, you are a candidate for degree posting. After conferral with the Deans' Offices, the degree is conferred and posted to the transcript. The printing and mailing of the diploma takes approximately three weeks thereafter.
Cancellation of Degree
The following items on your record will result in cancellation of degree:
- You must complete the minimum number of units required for your degree program. Your unit total is not rounded-up; even a fraction of a unit short of the required minimum will result in degree cancellation.
- The GPA does not fulfill stated minimum requirements. Specifically, Master’s and Doctoral candidates cannot graduate with a cumulative GPA below 3.0.
- All degree requirements are not met. This includes fieldwork, examinations, etc., that are completed after coursework is finished.
- All required coursework is not completed and/or outstanding paperwork is not submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the term for which the degree is pending, including an Application for Degree for each degree being earned.
- A degree will be canceled if a grade of Incomplete is assigned in a course which is used in completing the degree requirements. A degree may be posted, however, if a course NOT required by the degree program receives a grade of Incomplete.
- Should it be necessary to take courses elsewhere before degree work is completed, a Transfer Course Approval may be completed IF the semester end of the transferring institution is prior to the LMU graduation date. LMU does not allow concurrent enrollment. If you take a course at a college where the spring semester ends AFTER LMU's spring semester graduation date, your degree application will be canceled.
Reapplying for Degree
If your audit shows the overall degree requirements are not met, you will not graduate. Submit another degree application for the term in which you will finish all requirements so your audit shows as met. Your degree date will be the one in the term when degree requirements are met. Degree dates are not backdated.
If you are using transfer work to complete degree requirements, the Office of the Registrar must have received the pre-approved Transfer Course Approval(s) and official transcript(s) from the institution(s) within 30 working days of the end of the degree date. Items received after that date will not be applicable to the graduation term and will cause the application to be canceled.
If you have a Controller's Hold (Student Services > Registration > View Holds), your diploma will be available after the hold is released by Student Financial Services. Please inform the Office of the Registrar of the hold removal via the online form, Release Diploma after Account Hold Removal.
Duplicate diplomas may be ordered by completing the online form to Diploma Re-Issue Request.
If you have questions concerning missing requirements, please email your question or concern to the Academic Records Coordinator for your College:
|Business Administration||Communication & Fine Arts||Education||Film & Television||Liberal Arts||Science & Engineering|
Other questions may be emailed to the Registrar's Office.