In 1650 France, the Sisters of St. Joseph were founded by a Jesuit and 6 women. Their mission was to divide the city and seek out the needs of the "dear neighbor." Loyola Marymount University has been our "city" for over 45 years. Now, the CSJ Center, inaugurated in the 2012-2013 academic year, is a presence on campus, looking at ways to meet the needs of faculty, staff, students and alumni who are the "dear neighbor." Our charism is unity and reconciliation, so everything we do will be seen through the lens of bringing unity among all persons and with God.
In 1967 Sr. Raymunde McKay, RSHM, President of Marymount College, located then in Palos Verdes, extended an invitation to Sr. Mary Felix Montgomery, CSJ, Dean of St. Joseph College, to join in their affiliation with Loyola University of Los Angeles. In 1968 the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange partnered in the governing and staffing of Marymount College as it affiliated with Loyola University and moved to Westchester.
Simultaneously, St. Joseph College of Orange, a four year liberal arts college for women religious sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, began an affiliation with Marymount College. It became one of two branch campuses of Marymount College. In 1970 St. Joseph College of Orange was renamed Marymount College of Orange. It remained operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange and ceased to offer undergraduate degrees. College courses were offered to men and women during the summers.
With the merger of Loyola University and Marymount College in 1973, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange joined the Society of Jesus and the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary as one of the sponsoring religious communities of Loyola Marymount University. Marymount College of Orange was renamed the Orange Campus of Loyola Marymount University. The Orange Campus offered continuing education and summer courses to men and women through the 1980s.