This basic course will focus on the musculoskeletal system. We will address principles of practice, anatomy for yoga teachers, and the origin and treatment of common low back, upper back, knee, and hip problems. The course also will cover communication tools for working with doctors, including reading reports and understanding medical terminology and clinical notes such as S.O.A.P. notes.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Use Yoga therapy to understand and address the origin and treatment of musculoskeletal problems including common lower back, upper back, hip, and knee ailments
- Incorporate a safe, modified approach to group Yoga classes, which allows their one-on- one Yoga therapy clients to evolve to the group experience
- Work with doctors, physical therapists and other health professionals by learning how to read and understand basic medical terminology, reports and clinical notes such as S.O.A.P. notes
Course and program requirements, schedules and tuition are subject to change; and additional fees may be incurred for books and materials. Click here to review all policies prior to enrollment. For additional information, contact the Center for Religion and Spirituality at (310) 338-2799 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the program facilitators directly (listed below under 'Faculty').
Registration + Fees
Begins: October 6, 2018 | APPLY
- Early Registration Discount. Register with full-tuition payment by September 14 to receive $150 off tuition.
- Concurrent Enrollment Discount. Register in both YRTX 811 and YRTX 821 concurrently to receive $150 off tuition.
Prerequisite: Completed 200-hour Yoga teacher training, and admission into the program.
Course: YRTX 811
Tuition: $3,615 | A minimum payment of $750 is required to register. Tuition payment plans are available. Please contact Academic Services in LMU Extension at 310.338.1971 to make arrangements.
- Books + Materials Fees: $300-$375 (estimate only)
Classes meet once a month on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
- October 6-7, 2018
- November 3-4
- December 1-2
- January 5-6, 2019
- January 26-27
- February 16-17
- March 16-17
- April 13-14
- May 18-19
- June 29-30
- July 13-14
- August 3-4
LMU Westchester Campus
1 LMU Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90045
- Larry Payne, Facilitator
- Kathleen Ross-Allee
- Jamie Champion
- Lori Rubenstein Fazzio, D.P.T.
- Eden Goldman, D.C.
- Linda Lack, Ph.D.
- Surendra Mehta
- Richard Miller
- Rick Morris, D.C.
- Steve Paredes, D.C.
- Matthew J. Taylor, Ph.D.
- Felicia Tomasko
- Fay VanDerKar-Levinson, Ph.D.
- Course Requirements
Yoga Therapy Rx I
13.5 Semester Hours
Yoga Therapy is a synthesis of the ageless wisdom from the East with the most recent knowledge in complementary health from the West, and is a means to manage illness or facilitate healing. This basic course will focus on the musculoskeletal system. Classes will address principles of practice, anatomy for yoga teachers, the origin and treatment of common low back, upper back, knee and hip problems. In addition the course will cover communication tools for working with doctors including reading reports and understanding terminology and clinical notes such as S.O.A.P. notes. Prerequisite: 200-hour Yoga teacher training.