The Honors Program can provide funds for students who wish to conduct research activities during the academic school year. An Honors Research Fellowship Semester provides financial support for Honors students who wish to engage in faculty-mentored research and creative activities on a per-semester or -term basis.
Honors Research Fellowship Semester Grant Highlights
- Applicants are ideally eligible for work study or T work; additional or supplementary funds may be available based on proposal quality and merit
- The grant funds time spent doing the work, at an hourly rate that is commensurate with university research assistants for a maximum of 15 hours per week for 15 weeks (i.e., one semester)
- Relevant information includes a description of the project, a recommendation from the faculty mentor, and estimated cost (for items other than time spent working on the project)
- Deadlines: Proposals must be submitted before the end of the second week of the funded semester.
To apply for the Honors Research Fellowship Semester Grant, you must complete the following form and submit the following items:
- A description of your project, with a specific mention of what will be done during the paid time
- A letter of endorsement from your faculty advisor, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. This letter should:
- Signify faculty approval for the student to engage in this research under his or her guidance
- Describe the significance of the project for the student and how it relates to the faculty member's own work
If your proposal is funded, you are expected to present your work at the This is Honors event that is held during the LMU Undergraduate Research Symposium. You must also submit an abstract (and present your work if it is accepted) to the symposium itself. In addition, you are strongly encouraged to disseminate your work at any broader conference, publication, or appropriate venue. For this, you may apply for an Honors Ambassadorial Grant to defray expenses involved with that presentation or publication.
Upon submission, your proposal will be reviewed and you will be contacted directly about the results of this review.