Loyola Marymount University Survey Administration Procedures
Within the last couple of years there has been a significant increase in the number of surveys administered across campus. With the recent purchase of a University-wide license for online survey administration software, it is expected that the number of surveys administered will continue to increase. It is essential that surveys conducted at Loyola Marymount University provide meaningful, reliable results and that the administration of surveys be such that we maximize response rates and work to prevent survey fatigue by respondents.
We encourage members of our community to follow these procedures rather than purchase individual accounts for online survey administration software.
These procedures are intended to maximize the benefits of surveys administered on campus by:
- Avoiding the collection of duplicate information
- Encouraging the sharing of survey results with the campus community
- Reducing possible survey fatigue by limiting the number and timing of surveys to any one specific group
- Maximizing participation rates for critical university surveys
- Ensuring that those who undertake survey research are aware of ethical practices for research involving human participants and have Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval as necessary
To administer surveys:
All members of the LMU community have access to a default account in Qualtrics online survey software. The default account will allow the user to create surveys. In order to administer surveys to respondents, the user must obtain administrative privileges. This will grant the privilege of deploying surveys for one year, with renewals possible. To obtain administrative privileges, the user must do one of the following:
- Send current approval from the IRB for human subjects research to email@example.com
- Complete online Survey Administrator Training. This training will familiarize you with survey design, ethics, and administration policies. Send an email requesting this training to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once administrative privileges have been obtained, surveys may be administered for the following purposes without further permission:
- Research conducted by faculty
- Evaluation or assessment of an event by participants or feedback on a service by clients
- Surveys that are part of assigned work for a course
- Ensure that the survey is not designed to collect information already collected by another university survey; if available, the University will provide the sought after information
- Reduce survey fatigue and help to maximize responses to critical university surveys by providing permissible dates for the administration of the survey
- Provide the official email list for administration or administer the survey if appropriate
For a PDF copy of the Online Survey Administration Procedures, please click here.