Campus Deadline**: August 31, 2021
National Deadline: Early October
Submit Intent to Apply by June 1, 2021
Upcoming & Past Events
- Slides from the February 2021 Scholarships for Postgraduate Study in the UK Info Session and recording link.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue full-time postgraduate degrees in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Gates-Cambridge Scholarships apply to the following programs: PhD (three year research-only degree), MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree), One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA).
Award amount varies by participant to compensate for the University Composition Fee, student allowance (for room & board), one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course, and inbound visa costs & associated NHS surcharge costs.
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding - from £500 to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance - up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2018-19 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork - you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Hardship funding - for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding - should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Some fourth year funding for PhD Scholars may be provided
*Recommended campus deadline. Although the Gates Cambridge Scholarship does not require an institutional endorsement, LMU applicants have the option of receiving additional support, including a campus interview, if they submit their applications by the campus deadline. Please contact ONIF for more information.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (three year research-only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- You must also meet the minimum admissions requirements for your selected graduate degree program at Cambridge
- Recommended minimum GPA of 3.7+
- University of Cambridge Admissions Application
- 500 word Gates Cambridge Statement
- Research Proposal (PhD Applicants Only)
- Gates Reference- In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship
For official information on the Gates Cambridge Scholarship, which supersedes any information provided here, please visit this website.