The Berrien Fragos Thorn Arts Scholarship strives to encourage the creative talents of individuals with a history in migrant farmwork. There are two grants: one for under $500, and one for up to $2,500. Scholarships are awarded for the following art disciplines:
- Visual: painting, sculpture, photography, etc.
- Performing: dance, theatre, music, etc.
- Media: film, video, animation, computer graphics, etc.
- Literary: poetry, short series, etc.
- Crafts: traditional folk arts, furniture, weaving, pottery, etc.
Eligibility and Requirements
To be considered for a Berrien Fragos Thorn Arts Scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have proof of a history of movement to obtain work in agriculture
The applicant does not need to be enrolled in school.
Application Procedures and Selection Criteria
The application for grants under $500 requires:
Sections A and C of the application
The application for grants up to $2,500 requires:
- A complete application form
- A budget or documentation of expenses
- A portfolio of samples of work
Applications for grants under $500 are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications for grants up to $2,500 are due on June 1 and November 1.
Stella Setka, Ph.D.
Fellowships Coordinator, National and International Scholarship Office
University Hall 1848