VA Educational Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Loyola Marymount University thanks the veterans for their service and welcomes veteran students, spouses, and dependents to participate in the VA Chapter Benefit Entitlements at LMU:

The Office of Financial Aid has information on all LMU Veteran Benefits.

  • Determination and Eligibility of Educational Benefits
    • The VA determines student eligibility to receive educational benefits. Certification depends upon your VA-determined eligibility, enrollment status, and program of study. Interested students should complete and submit the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) on the VA eBenefits site. To complete an application on-line, you will need LMU’s VA Code number: 3-1-5042-05.
    • To check on the status of your application, remaining entitlement, or any other general questions, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs educational hotline: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) or submit a question electronically through Ask a Question.
  • Transfer of Benefits

    First-time LMU students who have previously used their benefit(s) at another institution and would like to begin utilizing it here should submit one of the following forms electronically utilizing VONAPP or eBenefits:

    • All GI Bill recipients, excluding Chapter 35 and Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training
    • Students utilizing Chapter 35 or the Fry Scholarship: VA Form 22-5495 Change of Program or Place of Training
  • Starting Benefits at LMU
    • The LMU School Certifying Officer (SCO) is Mr. William Salvini in the Office of the Registrar and he may be reached via email or at 310.338.5765. It is recommended that you make an appointment to speak with him. Once you have completed the VA application process and paid your commitment fee to the University, you will need to submit the following documentation to LMU's SCO (contact information below):
    • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or VA-authorized replacement: This notice is sent to the beneficiary from the VA stating the specific VA Educational benefits. Students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefit may print this from their eBenefits account; ensure that the time and percentage of coverage is clearly indicated on the form.
    • For Chapter 35 recipients : We must have a copy of your COE and the sponsor’s Social Security Number before we can process any benefits.
  • Notification of Intent to Use Benefits (New and Continuing Students)

    Students requesting certification of their VA educational benefit for a term must complete the VA Educational Benefits Semester Enrollment. This form notifies the certifying official that you are enrolled and would like to utilize VA benefits. This form must be submitted EVERY semester and summer session in which you have enrolled and plan to use your benefit.

  • Certification of Enrollment Hours to the VA

    You are required to submit a VA Benefits Semester Enrollment request for each each term in which you would like to use your VA Education Benefits. Prior to requesting certification please review your courses along the following guidelines.

    • The student receiving benefits is solely responsible for knowing the status of the benefits, e.g., how much of the benefit has been used and how much coverage (time and amount) remains. If a student submits the semester enrollment form, LMU will certify if any coverage is possible. LMU is not responsible for consequences resulting from a requested certification. The student should contact the VA if there are questions about the status of benefits: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
    • When using benefits, it is the student's responsibility to notify the University's SCO of any/all enrollment change(s), e.g., add, drop, withdraw, cancellations, etc., as soon as they occur in the semester. This may be done in-person and/or by email from your LION email account only to Failure to do so may result in delayed payment and/or VA debt.
    • Only courses which satisfy requirements required by the degree program can be certified. Free electives cannot be certified if they are not needed to reach the minimum number of credits for your program.
    • Courses that you are taking in hopes of adding or changing to a different major and/or degree program cannot be certified. For example, if you wish to change your degree program, you may not take courses intended for the new program if you have not been admitted to the program.
    • Courses which are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements may be repeated. Courses that were successfully completed may not be certified if they are repeated unless a higher grade is required for the program. For example if a student receives a “D” in a course which does not have a higher grade requirement, a repeat cannot be certified because a “D” grade technically meets the requirement.
    • If, however, you receive a “D” grade in a required major course, and that major requires a “C” grade for every course in the major, the repeat could be certified. Policies differ for a 3rd attempt or more. If this applies to you please contact the certifying official in the Registrar’s Office.
    • Undeclared majors can only be certified for courses meeting specific College lower-division requirements.
    • Undeclared majors cannot be certified after earning 60 credits.
    • Audited courses cannot be certified.
    • Continuing Education courses or programs cannot be certified.