Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a category below to review related FAQs.

  • Q. Why should I study abroad?

    A. You can study abroad for many reasons. You can choose to study abroad because it allows you to sharpen your foreign language skills and learn about yourself and the host culture.  It allows you to study in a different education system, travel to new places, increase confidence and independence. You can also fulfill a combination of core, major or elective requirements and meet degree requirements.

    Q. How soon can I study abroad?

    A. You can go abroad as early as summer after your freshman year.  Typically, students study abroad during their Sophomore or Junior years.  

    Q. Are there programs for specific majors?

    A. With good planning, students of different majors can study in a variety of programs.  Some degree programs are stricter than others and therefore there are some programs for specific majors such as Film&TV, Theater, Engineering, Science.

    Q. Am I eligible for all programs? What are the eligibility requirements?

    A. You must be in good academic and standing to study abroad.  We will also complete a judicial check when you apply.  Eligibility requirements include class level, GPA, and language requirements if any.  These can vary by program and are found on the program brochure page.

    Q. Do I have to know other languages to study abroad?

    A. Most programs we highlight have classes taught in English. 

    Q. When should I apply?

    A. Typically, the application is due a semester before the program takes place. Students may participate in a program the summer after freshman year.

    Q. How do I choose a program?

    A. Attend Study Abroad 101 to learn more about our programs.  You can also use the advance search features on the Study Abroad Portal to search for programs that fit specific criteria such as Area of Study, GPA, financial aid access, etc.  We also host a Study Abroad Fair in the Fall semester.  Students can learn more about program offerings, speak to Faculty, Study Abroad Alumni and representatives for semester and summer programs. 

    Q. What if I want to study abroad in a country that LMU does not have a program in?

    A. We encourage you to look through our program list to make sure that we do not have a program that meets your geographic and academic needs.  Students are eligible to petition a program for strong academic reasons.  They must meet LMU's strict guidelines for international transfer credit and must apply a year in advance, meeting the following deadlines:

    • February 10 is the application deadline for the following Summer term
    • February 10 is the application deadline for the Spring term of the next year
    • October 2 is the application deadline for the Fall term of next year

    Please schedule a meeting with a Study Abroad advisor to start the petition application process.

  • Q: What happens once I click the apply now button?

    A: When you click 'Apply Now' you will be able to view and begin the application process. Only applications that are labeled as being complete will be reviewed.

    Q: How do I know my application has been submitted?

    A: If all requirements have been met and all boxes have been checked then you should be able to click the final submission button! A complete application will have all questionnaires, materials, and recommendations submitted, and all meeting requirements checked off. If you have any questions regarding your application status please email the Study Abroad Office at

    Q: What is a Transfer Course Approval (TCA) form?

    A: A TCA form is required as part of the application process for programs where you will receive LMU Transfer Credit not LMU credit and grades. This can take quite some time to complete and students should start as soon as possible after opening an application.  

    Q: How do I request a recommendation form through the online application?

    A: As soon as your reference agrees to being your recommender, advise them they will be receiving an email with instructions on how to access the recommendation form online. In your application there is a tab labeled 'Recommendations'.  Use the Faculty/ Staff directory to to find the person and send the request.  For students who are using people that are not connected to LMU, please enter the contact information for your references and submit the request.

    Q. Will I need to notify Housing that I will be abroad?

    A. If you have already applied to live on campus for the semester and you are accepted for study abroad, you should visit the Student Housing office to complete any cancellation forms for while you are abroad.  Studying Abroad is a valid reason for cancelling your housing contract.  

    Q. When will I know if I have been accepted?

    A. Generally, it can take up to a month after the application deadline date to hear if you have been accepted into a semester program. Summer applications are accepted on a rolling basis and can occur as early as two weeks after the application has been completed. Notification is sent by email.

  • Q: How do I know if a program offers LMU Credit and Grades or LMU Transfer Credit?

    A: That information is listed in the individual program brochure. If the program is listed as “LMU Semester in…” or "LMU Summer in…” you are able to receive LMU credit and grades. You will receive LMU transfer credit for all other programs.

    Q. How do I register for classes since I am going abroad?

    A. If you are attending a program where you will receive credit and grades you will register on PROWL. If you are attending a program where you receive LMU transfer credit only, the Study Abroad Office works with the Office of the Registrar to enroll you in a study abroad “place holder” course. This 12 unit course maintains your full time standing with the University, and once the transcript is received upon your completion of the program; it will be swapped out for your pre-approved transfer courses.

    Q. Do I need to file for a leave of absence?

    A. No. If you file for a leave of absence, you will not remain an LMU student and your financial aid will not be released. Therefore, you will be delayed in registering for your classes upon your return, and not be able to use your Financial Aid award for your study abroad program.

  • Q. How much does studying abroad cost?

    A. The cost of studying abroad varies according to the program and location. A budget sheet, specific to each individual program, can be found on the program brochure.  The budget sheet provides an estimate of the program costs and lists the inclusions.

    Q: Where and how do I pay for the application fee?

    A: The application fee is billed to you through Student Accounts after your application has been reviewed. Students are expected to login to the student account center and pay for the fee in a timely manner.

    Q. How do I pay for the program?

    A. If you are going on a featured program, you will pay online using the LMU Student Accounts website. LMU Featured program participants will be billed through LMU for their participation based on the budget sheet. Exchange students will be charged tuition through LMU and housing and board through the host institution based on the housing choice.  With the exception of the Application Fee and Commitment deposit, you will pay your tuition and fees by the normal semester and summer deadlines set by LMU.

  • Q. How can I fund studying abroad?

    A. Institutional, Federal and State Aid is applicable for LMU Featured Programs. Therefore, students can use their current aid to studying abroad.  Students wishing to apply to a non-Featured Program must inquire with the Financial Aid Office about the policies for their specific program. Institutional aid does not apply to non-Featured programs and there may be additional requirements to have eligible federal or state aid apply to a non-Featured program.