The McNair Scholars Program application window is open.
2020 Application Submission Deadlines
If you are scheduled to graduate May 2022, Summer 2022 or December 2022, submit your application by Monday February 3, 2020.
Interviews for qualified applicants will be held the week of February 12, 2020.
Notices of acceptance will be e-mailed the week of February 24, 2020.
You'll need the following when applying via the Application Portal (above):
- 500 word essay regarding your academic interests, long range academic goals, research experience, professional plans, and goals
- Most recent tax forms for the person that claims you as a dependent
- The names of two LMU professors as references (not letters of recommendation)
- List of faculty at LMU with whom you would be interested in doing research
You will also need to meet the eligibility requirements listed below:
- A minimum 2.8 cumulative GPA is required (minimum 3.0 preferred)
- A minimum of 60 units completed before entering the program
- U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency
- Preference given to students majoring in the sciences, engineering, math, economics, political science, psychology, and sociology
- First in the family to complete a baccalaureate degree and come from a low-income family, OR be a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (including African American, Native American, and Chicano/Latino)
- Intend to pursue a Ph.D. after graduation. The McNair Scholars Program is not open to students who intend to obtain professional degrees such as medicine, dentistry, management, or law.
- Attend bi-weekly one-unit course junior and senior years
- Participate in summer research programs as a rising junior and a rising senior
- Present at a national conference and multiple regional conferences
- Prepare for and take the GRE exam
- Apply to graduate school