Office for Research and Sponsored Projects
The Office for Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) provides high quality services and expertise to support the research mission and sponsored projects administration at Loyola Marymount University. Here at the ORSP, we value inclusion, justice, and human dignity for all people. Committed to the enrichment of our educational community, we strive to incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work. We fully encourage, promote, and celebrate the diverse voices, talents, interests and cultural backgrounds of our faculty, staff, and students.
Federal Government Shutdown for the LMU Research Community
As you may be aware, there is the potential for a full or partial federal government shutdown. The federal fiscal year ends September 30th and Congress has not yet reached an agreement to provide funding for federal agencies. ORSP will monitor the ongoing situation as it unfolds and provide the LMU research community with current information as it becomes available.
Each Federal agency may handle the shutdown and determination of essential personnel differently. Updated Federal Agency Contingency Plans can be found here.
Projects should continue unless advised otherwise by your Federal or Federal pass-through sponsors.
Here are several points for consideration, based on the previous shutdown (2018):
- Agencies will not award new grants or contracts.
- Agency staff will not answer calls or emails, respond to any inquiries received, including about upcoming deadlines, proposal preparation, and applications.
- New / Renewing proposals will likely have revised submission deadlines during the shutdown period, as we will have limited ability to submit grants.
- All proposal reviews for previously submitted grants will be delayed.
- No new Continuing Grant Increments (CGIs) will be awarded.
- Grant payments to the campus will be disrupted.
- No-cost extensions will not be processed until normal agency operations resume, and federal funds cannot be obligated for expenses that occur beyond the award end date.
- Supplemental funding requests will not be processed and awarded until normal operations resume.
- Peer reviews/study sections are not expected to occur, which may impact faculty who are reviewers and potential delays in start dates for those whose proposals are awaiting review (if the shutdown is prolonged).
- Continue working on federal awards! However, recognize the longer the duration of the shutdown, the more LMU will need to be prepared to float funds to pay those on awards.
It is important to note that a government shutdown does not mean that you must stop working on your grant (except in the very rare instance when you receive a stop-work order). LMU will be able to manage cashflows for the immediate future so that most research can continue as planned.
We hope for a swift resolution to the current situation, but we must also be prepared for potential challenges. ORSP is monitoring this situation closely and will share information as deliberations develop. We value your dedication to research and remain committed to supporting you during these uncertain times.
Please feel free to reach out to ORSP with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org