Human Resources professionals make a difference at the companies in which they work. To grow in this exciting profession takes knowing a large and ever-changing body of knowledge. Through a variety of professional coursework and certificate programs, LMU Extension has assisted Human Resources managers, practitioners, and consultants in career advancement for more than 20 years.
As an HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®) Approved Program Provider, LMU Extension offers coursework in a variety of HR topics, both online and on-campus, during the Fall and Spring Extension terms.
- Human Resources Management: Working in this exciting and growing field, you are a link between management and an organization's most valuable asset – its people. Human Resources professionals are at the pulse of most businesses. This 12-week basic program provides you with this crucial knowledge to excel in this important field.
42 classroom hours, 12 weeks
Online, via Zoom, once a week
Wednesday 6:00 pm to 9:30 pm begins February 22, 2023
Saturday, 8:30 am to 12:00 pm, begins February 25, 2023
- Jeanette Scott
Jeanette Scott, PHR is a Human Resources Consultant for York Holmes Consulting, Inc. providing human resources services to meet the needs of employers in a variety of industries and in multi-state locations. Jeanette has over 30 years of human resources experience working in both a corporate manufacturing setting and as well as in a consulting role and has been the instructor for the Loyola Marymount University Human Resources Management Certificate Extension course since 2011.
Jeanette is a graduate of Webster University with a degree in Management with an emphasis on Human Resources Management. She also maintains a Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification from the Human Resources Certificate Institute (HRCI). She is an active member of the Professionals in Human Resources Association (PIHRA) and the Society of Human Recourses Management (SHRM).
Students must complete a total of 4.0 semester hours in coursework with a letter grade of 'B-' or higher in each course to receive a certificate of completion. Please refer to the course catalog for required text, class meeting location, and other general information.
Coursework: INRX 800
Human Resources Management
4.0 Semester Hours
The program provides students with a solid foundational knowledge of Human Resources Management, such as the importance of diverse business roles within Human Resources, challenges facing today’s human resources professionals, and the laws governing workforce practices. Students will explore the topics foundational to the Human Resources field, including:
- State and Federal Labor Laws
- Recruitment and Selection
- Performance Management
- Employee Relations
- Employee Development
- Cost Control
- Health and Safety
- Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
Working in this exciting and growing field you are a link between management and an organization's most valuable asset: its people. Human Resources professionals are at the pulse of most businesses. To succeed in this field, it is important to have a solid understanding of the framework guiding human resources related decisions.
Our Human Resources Management professional certificate program provides students with this crucial knowledge. You can take what you learn and apply it in business organizations within the for-profit, nonprofit, and/or government sectors. This program was developed under the tutelage of highly professional and respected practitioners in the field and provides the essentials for a thorough understanding of the principles and realities of day-to-day human resources activities. During the course, you will learn subject matter content included in the HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®) aPHR Exam.
Who Should Participate
This program is open for those new to human resources, as well as those with experience working in the profession but looking for more subject matter knowledge. Prospective students will find this program valuable for a number of reasons, such as:
- You wish to gain more knowledge about the field in order to take the aPHR certification exam
- You are already working within the field and need a broad understanding of the functions within human resources (this may be necessary to move from a non-exempt to an exempt level of employment)
- You already work in the area of human resources and want to stay current with the latest best practices
- You hold a degree in another area of study and want to increase your knowledge base