Accreditation – a seal of approval by professional peers – indicates that an institution or program meets the quality standards of the group conferring the accreditation. Loyola Marymount University is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). All programs and coursework offered by LMU Extension are developed and facilitated in accordance with rigorous academic standards.
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (Degree Completion Program)
- California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals-Education Institute (Alcohol and Drug Counseling
For a complete list of the university's accrediting organizations, visit lmu.edu/about/accreditation.
LMU Extension is not a degree-granting unit. Academic credit is awarded by LMU Extension as semester hours, however, this credit is not equivalent to semester hours in the degree-granting units of the greater University. There are three major groupings of courses: Professional Development, Continuing Education, and Personal Enrichment.
- Professional Development courses in a certificate or professional development program with identifiable subject areas or in particular disciplines, e.g., EDUX for teacher education are offered under a departmental rubric and carry University semester hours of continuing education/professional development credit or graduate-level professional development credit.
- Continuing Education courses with academic content falling outside the normal undergraduate or graduate offerings are offered under the rubrics CNTX and ONLX. Credit is recorded in semester hours; 1.0 semester hour represents 10 continuing education contact hours. The grading is CR. Credit (CR) equals to the letter B or above in the course. These courses can be considered graduate-level courses.
- Personal enrichment courses covering a variety of activities of interest to the community and do not require a letter grade.
- Course entries marked with the letter “X” at the end of the subject code do not carry degree-granting credit at LMU.
- Course entries marked with the letter “Z” at the end of the subject code carry degree-granting credit for Extension degree programs.
- Courses offered in the 800 – 999 and 8000 – 9999 number ranges are designated for LMU Extension
- Credit (CR) is reported in the semester credit hour column with each unit representing the equivalent value of 10 to 15 continuing education contact hours.
- Professional development courses marked with the letter “X” that receive a letter grade are considered graduate-level courses.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
For Legal Professionals. Loyola Marymount University certifies that certain activities identified in the catalog have been approved for Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) credit by the State Bar of California for the hours listed for those courses.
For Nursing Professionals. Loyola Marymount University is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, CEP 12698, to offer continuing education credit.
For Psychologists, Counseling Professionals and Social Workers. Loyola Marymount University is approved by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences to provide CEUs for psychologists, counselors, MFTs, and LCSWs.
Some LMU Extension courses may qualify for academic credit at other colleges and universities. The transferability and equivalency of such credit, or articulation, is solely determined by the institution to which you are applying. Course descriptions and learning outcomes are taken into consideration. Be sure to have your course description and syllabus available in case it is requested.