Certified Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialists provide recovery-oriented, culturally appropriate services that promote engagement, socialization, self-sufficiency, self-advocacy, natural supports and are trauma aware. This program is designed for individuals who are 18 years of age or older, who self-identify as having lived experience with the process of recovery from mental illness, substance use disorder, or both, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent or family member of the consumer.
LMU's comprehensive Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification combines the University’s strong academic reputation and its extensive experience providing professional instruction in the areas of mental and behavioral health to those with lived experience.
The instructor led, 80-hour course covers the 17 Core Competencies for Peer Support Workers as defined by SAMHSA and meets the educational requirements necessary for applicants seeking to take the state certification exam to become a California Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist. LMU Extension is an approved CalMHSA training provider.
LMU Extension is an approved CalMHSA training provider for Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Core Competency Training. Peer Support Specialists certified through the certification program administered by CalMHSA will be recognized as Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialists and must be trained in the following 17 Core Competencies:
- The concepts of hope, recovery, and wellness.
- The role of advocacy.
- The role of consumers and family members.
- Psychiatric rehabilitation skills and service delivery, and addiction recovery principles, including defined practices.
- Cultural and structural competence trainings.
- Trauma-informed care.
- Group facilitation skills.
- Self-awareness and self-care.
- Co-occurring disorders of mental health and substance use.
- Conflict resolution.
- Professional boundaries and ethics.
- Preparation for employment opportunities, including study and test-taking skills, application and resume preparation, interviewing, and other potential requirements for employment.
- Safety and crisis planning
- Navigation of and referral to, other services.
- Documentation skills and standards.
- Digital literacy.
To get started, please contact us at Extension@lmu.edu
To seek Certification as Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist an individual must meet the following qualifications:
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
3. Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver or family member of a consumer.
4. Be willing to share their experience.
5. Have a strong dedication to recovery.
6. Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
7. Successfully complete the 80-hour training requirements for a peer support specialist.
8. Pass the certification examination.
LMU Extension is committed to providing valuable learning experiences to the community. Coursework and certificate programs offered by LMU Extension can help individuals from diverse backgrounds advance their careers, increase opportunities for wage mobility, and explore professional development. Scholarship and grant funding may be available for selected programs to support students in reaching their academic and employment goals. Merit and need-based scholarships are awarded annually to eligible students.
Please note, Title IV- Federal Financial Aid is not available for continuing education, extension programs, and non-degree programs.
Tuition and fees
The cost for the 80-hour training program is $2700.00
Grant Funded Tuition Programs
In coordination with our community partners, grant funding may be available for eligible youth, low-income adults, Veterans, formerly incarcerated individuals, and dislocated workers. A dislocated worker is an individual who has lost a job through no fault of their own due to a company closure, layoff, or military spouse relocation. To find out if you are eligible, please complete a Funding Availability Interest Form.
California Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Scholarship vouchers are also accepted.
For more information, please contact us at Extension@lmu.edu
Online via Zoom: Tuesday & Thursday, 6:30-9:30PM, February 20 - May 7, 2024
For more information, please contact us at Elizabeth.Tobias@lmu.edu