Please take a moment to review the frequently asked questions below to understand how the DSS Office is here to support your child.

If you have a question that you do not see listed, please feel free to contact our office.

Will my child's IEP/504 Plan automatically transfer over to LMU?

Accommodation plans from high school do not automatically transfer. The DSS Office will review their previous IEP/504 Plan as it shows a history of accommodation.

What does my child need to do to continue the accommodations they received at their previous school?

At the college level, students must self-identify in order to receive accommodations. Your student should contact our office as soon as possible so that we may discuss the process with them. Depending on the disability, there are several types of documentation that may need to be submitted to the DSS Office. It is advised that students send copies of all documentation and maintain the originals for their own personal files.

Once all of the documentation has been submitted, the process of reviewing the file will begin. Incomplete files will not be reviewed. On average reviews can take up to 15 business days, although during peak times it may take longer to receive a notification from the DSS Office. This is why the DSS Office encourages all students to apply as early as possible. Once complete, a written letter explaining the outcome of the review will be sent to your child by email.

When should my child request accommodations from the DSS Office?

The DSS Office accepts requests for accommodation on a year-round basis. However, we advise that students submit documentation as soon as they know that they will be attending LMU. This allows time for their file to be reviewed and for accommodations to be set in place before they begin classes. The review process can be time consuming and in a few occasions, additional documentation is requested before a final decision can be reached. Due to these factors, students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.

What happens if my child's request for accommodations is not approved?

The DSS Office does not deny requests for accommodation. If upon first review, there is not enough evidence to show a limitation in a major life activity which would result in the need for accommodation, then the DSS Office would draft a letter to your child requesting further documentation.

If I have questions or concerns about my child, will the DSS Office be able to speak with me?

Any file that the DSS Office may have on your child is kept confidential. We will not be able to disclose any information without a signed Release of Information. This form allows the DSS Office to discuss the student's file with a specified third party. If your child chooses to sign this form and authorizes the DSS Office to speak with you, this does not mean that you may act on your child's behalf. Rather, this form allows for an exchange of information. If your child chooses not to sign this form, then we will only be able to discuss general processes with you and cannot go into any detail concerning your child.

Please note that the DSS files are protected under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) as well as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). If your student signs a general release with the Registrar's Office, this does not cover their DSS file. In order to discuss their DSS file, they must sign our release.

If my child registers with DSS, will it show up on their transcript or diploma?

No. All DSS records are confidential and maintained within the DSS Office. Their status with our office will not be printed in any of their academic records.

How does my child's professor become notified of their accommodations?

Each semester students students must login to the DSS Online Services website to request that their faculty be notified of their approved accommodations. Once verified by the DSS Office, faculty will be emailed directly with the student's approved accommodations. Nowhere on the email does it list the student's disability. Although this is emailed to faculty, students are encouraged to speak directly with their professors regarding their approved accommodations.