The Center for Teaching Excellence offers confidential feedback and assistance through class observations and reviews based on an instructor's request. The CTE does not participate in the evaluation of teaching for promotion but can offer formative peer-to-peer feedback based on availability:
- review of overall class design or specific class components,
- review of course syllabus,
- assessment of learning goals, outcomes, or rigor of a class,
- evaluation of general and specific class aspects, such as assignments, board work, student participation, etc.,
- identification or introduction of new pedagogies or reorganization of a class,
- class visits,
- piloting new classes, pedagogies, technologies, etc.
For assistance with classroom technology, such as lecture recordings, contact ITS for support. Class observations offered through the CTE are for formative purposes - to provide instructors with feedback that help to assess and adjust their teaching in the pursuit of excellence. Class observations by the CTE Director or an instructor identified by the CTE do not generally replace departmental class observations for summative purposes, in particular, for tenure, promotion, or hiring decisions.