Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) Services are available as an accommodation for hearing impaired students registered with the Disability Support Services (DSS) Office who have been approved based on their disability documentation. Once the student has been approved for this accommodation and has registered for classes, the student will need to come to the DSS Office at the beginning of each semester to sign a CART Services Agreement. The DSS Office will contract CART Services for the student.
As a part of CART Services the student will receive verbatim transcripts 24 hours after the class has met. However, CART Services are designed to complement classroom learning and will not take the place of classroom attendance. If the student does not attend class, there will be no transcript available for that class period. The transcripts are solely for the student's personal academic use and they may not be shared with any other student or used for any other purpose, other than as class study notes, without the expressed written consent of the faculty and the DSS Office.
Guidelines regarding CART Services
The student is responsible for:
- Providing the DSS Office with a copy of their class schedule 1 month prior to the beginning of the semester
- Providing the DSS Office with a copy of their course syllabi
- Contacting the DSS Office immediately if they add/drop a class throughout the semester
The student is responsible for notifying the DSS Office 48 hours in advance under the following circumstances:
- Class in cancelled due to a holiday or for any other reason
- A planned absence from class
- Testing or for any other reason where CART Services will not be required during class
- Additional captioning needed for special events or lectures, outside of regularly scheduled class time.