Defining: "Permission to register and/or carry as few as 8 units while maintaining full-time student status."

Students enrolled in 12 or more units are considered to be full-time. However, under the ADA, some students may reduce their course load to 8 units and still maintain the same on-campus privileges as their peers. In these instances, with the consent of the student, the DSS Office may communicate with other LMU departments informing them that this accommodation has been provided.

At times, due to regulations outside of LMU's purview, a student may not be able to utilize this accommodation. To learn more about the impact of registering for fewer than 12 units, please refer to the table below.


Students who are on any University team must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the NCAA. Due to this, students must register for no less than 12 units, regardless of DSS accommodation stating otherwise.

Burns Recreation Center

Undergraduate students who are registered for less than 12 units will need to sign a Release of Information form in order for DSS to share their under-registered accommodation with the Burns Recreation Center. Graduate students, regardless of registered units, will need to purchase their membership in order to use the facility. Membership sales take place at the Member Services Office, located on the first floor of the Burns Recreation Center, behind the front desk.

Financial Aid

For students receiving financial aid, registering for 8 units cannot be considered as full-time regardless of DSS accommodation. Aid will be pro-rated depending on rules and regulations. Students who register for 12 or more units and later withdraws from classes, dropping to 8 units, may be required to undergo the Satisfactory Academic Progress process with the Financial Aid Office. Verification will be requested from DSS of accommodation. For the full policy regarding under-enrollment, refer to the Financial Aid website regarding the DSS Part-Time Enrollment Accommodation.  

Greek Life

In order to be eligible to rush a fraternity/sorority, freshmen must have completed 12 units with a minimum GPA of 2.5. If a student has the DSS accommodation to be under registered, they may appeal the unit requirement with Greek Life. Verification will be requested from DSS of accommodation.

International Students

In order to maintain your F-1 and J-1 International Student Visa you must enroll full-time for both fall and spring semesters (minimum 12 units for undergraduates and 6 units for graduate students).

Office of the Registrar

If a student registers for less than 12 units, then they will be charged tuition per unit registered. If a student registers for 12 or more units and later withdraws from classes (after the first week of classes), dropping to 8 units, then they will pay the flat-rate tuition payment. This is the case for all students, regardless of DSS accommodation.

Student Housing

To live on campus students must be enrolled in 12 or more units. If a student is below the 12 unit requirement, they will need to meet with their Resident Director (RD) and sign an Under Registered form. The Student Housing Office may ask that DSS verify the accommodation.

Student Organizations / Clubs

There are no registration requirements for LMU's student organizations/clubs. If any issues do arise, DSS may work individually with the student and the organization/club.