Note taking services are available as an accommodation for students registered with the Disability Support Services (DSS) Office who have been approved based on their disability documentation. Once approved for this accommodation, it is at the student's discretion as to which classes they choose to use this accommodation.
Note takers are hired from the class in which the DSS student is enrolled. The DSS Office will recruit, hire and facilitate the exchange of notes. To maintain confidentiality, the note taker is not provided with the name of the DSS student, nor is the DSS student aware of the identity of the note taker. Any concerns should be brought to the attention of the DSS Office.
Guidelines regarding note taking services:
- Students requesting note taking must be approved for the accommodation.
- Students must request note taking through the DSS Online Services website.
- Once a note taker has been hired, the DSS Office will inform the student. Notes are uploaded to the DSS Online Services website. Students will receive an email each time new notes are uploaded for the class.
- Students must notify the DSS Office within 24 hours of dropping a class in which they are receiving notes.
- Students are expected to attend classes regularly. Note taking is not a substitute for classroom attendance.
- Students are responsible for contacting the DSS Office if they are not receiving notes or if there are concerns.
- Students are not to share their notes with others in the class. The accommodation of note taking is provided solely to the approved student.